Thursday, July 15, 2010

Let's start by calling him pigglet

Let me start by saying that I am aware he's the best player in the world, and assuming that he doesn't start playing in the near future, he will be that best golfer we have seen to date. However, we did see him look a little more like a mortal when Y.E. was able to beat him head to head this year and Phil beat him the last two tournaments they both played in. That being said, I want to focus more on the matters of public interest now. I am not a perfect guy and I don't know one as of now, but I think what this should show us is that sports stars and celebrities in general should not necessarily be held as role models. We should have known this for a while now seeing as how so many other celebrities do this or similar things on a consistent basis, but I think this hit us a little harder. I was unaware of this until two days ago, but there was actually a First Church of Tiger Woods (or something along those lines, may not have been exactly that). It was started by a man named John Zeigler. He does a lot of different things (most recently made a documentary and posted it on his website www.howobomagotelected.com), but this is one that he felt very passionate about. I saw him on TV the other day talking about how he was the biggest Tiger advocate and really believed that Tiger was the closest thing to perfect we had seen in quite some time. I know a lot of Tiger fans and while I never asked them, I bet that before this scandal came out, a lot of them would have said the he is almost perfect. There was an article that came out early in 1997, right before he won his first masters. In this article, written by Charlie Pierce, Tiger acts as most 21 year olds would act (as he should). It wasn't that he did anything horrible of indecent, he just told some crude jokes and talked about women in a less than flattering way and was all about material things. That's what most 21 year old men do. I know I did and still do some of that to a certain extent, so I am not dissappointed in that except for this side of it. Tiger's dad always talked about how he was the next messiah and the greatest thing since Jesus. I know that every dad will be proud of their son and probably see him on a level higher than he really is, but this is a bit extreme. I think the blame for that falls mostly on Papa Woods, but Tiger has to know that his dad has made him into a world phenomanom by then and should probably be careful what he says. His father is a whole other matter which doesn't need to be discussed by anyone with a brain as he clearly isn't and wasn't ever the next messiah. One thing I believe that can be seen in this is that people hold celebrities in a higher regard (fairly or unfairly) than others. If I was married and had multiple mistresses and my wife found out and we got divorced, no one outside of my immediate world would care, but since it's Tiger, the whole world wants to know. I think Charles Barkley (may have been Dennis Rodman) said it best when he said "I'm not a role model, it's not my responsibility to raise your kids, it's yours." That seemed like an arrogant statement at the time, but as more and more celebrities continue to act like normal humans, it becomes more accurate. A lot of high profile athletes are unfaithful or commit other acts that some condem, but Tiger is in a different realm. Tiger has a little different dynamic than most though, as he has been very reserved with the media for the longest time, as well he is the most recognizable athlete in the world today. This is why he will be scrutinized more than most by TMZ and the like, yet hardly at all by major news networks. They are scarred to say anything about him because they're affraid he wont talk to them any longer. Also, he won't lose many (if any) of his sponsorships, because he means to much to them. Gatorade shut production down of his own drink, but they're not going to cut ties with him. He's the most important athlete associated with Nike, so they won't cut ties either. What I would like to have happen is for the media to not play up great athletes like they are great people, but that won't happen, so I hope parents stress that to their children. Also, I hope we all keep that in mind as we get older. It's easy to see them as great people, but the fact of the matter is, most of the time they are just like us except they are great at their sport. I really don't judge people (at least try hard not to) because I don't really care what people do, but if you want to hook up with different people all the time, don't get married. I act more like Tiger in that way than I do Tim Tebow, but I'm not married. Derek Jeter has a different girl every night, but no one cares; in fact, most people (including myself) would love to have the list of girls he has, but he's not married. If Tiger was single, this wouldn't even be an issue. I'm not saying to not get married, because I'm sure it's an awesome thing, but if you want to behave like that, don't wed until that's out of you system. I heard a quote by Chris Rock "A man in only as faithful as his choices," and I'm not sure if that's 100% true or not, but I do know that it's a lot easier to be unfaithful if you're rich, famous, or good looking, or famous. If you're all four, you can get almost anyone you want. I'm sure that's inticing to most people (definitely would be to me), just don't be fake about it and pretend you're something you're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment